Sunday, January 29, 2012

Week 4--A Twist on Caesar Salad

I need a new hot water heater.  Those suckers are EXPENSIVE.  Let's be honest, I'm a teacher and I don't make a lot of money, so I'm basically handing over my summer vacation money to replace this thing.  I am not a happy camper about it.  Not to mention about two days later, a friend of mine broke my vacuum cleaner.  I'm not super sure she intends to get me another one and it's kind of one of those touchy money situations you don't want to get into with a good friend. 

So why am I telling you this?  Well, I've got to try to save some money somehow, so I'm trying to be frugal about the food I buy and the amount of times I eat out.  I also sweet talked Verizon into lowering my monthly rate by 15 bucks.  But that's another story. 

On Monday, after I realized I didn't want to eat PB&J for my lunches for the next 5 months, I whipped up a big salad that I could eat off of all week.  It's a take on a Caesar Salad.  It's got pasta in it.  That sounds like the weirdest thing ever, but it is actually VERY good!

You will need:  
Romaine Lettuce (I got the kind in a bag.)
Bowtie Pasta
Parmesan Cheese
Caesar Croutons
Almonds for Salads
The Caesar dressing of your choice

I went ahead and made 2 cups of pasta, which was MORE than enough.  That was pretty much the only thing I had to make in advance.  Every morning when I got up to make my lunch I would put some of the lettuce in a bowl, top it with some pasta, croutons, cheese, and almonds, and I was ready to go.  I put my dressing in a little container to add later at school.  Easy to make, and it was many lunches/dinners for the week.  (I'm one of those people who doesn't get really bored with eating the same thing over and over!)  The pasta added a little substance to the salad and it felt more like a meal than a side dish. :)

That's all for now, pray that nothing else of mine breaks in the next year.








No comments:

Post a Comment